Pepper Volovye ear - a sweet favorite of gardeners
All the gardeners seem to have conspired: their impressions of the Volovye ear pepper convey almost the same phrases: "the sweetest", "unrealistically sweet", "very juicy and tasty". Actually, this variety does not require long descriptions, because almost every gardener and farmer knows it. Pepper is zoned for all regions of Russia, it grows in greenhouses and in open beds.
The history of the emergence of pepper Volovye ear
In the 90s, large volumes of vegetable seeds began to arrive in Russian shops for gardeners-gardeners, surpassing Russian varieties in their beautiful presentation and resistance to diseases. But the taste often left much to be desired. Imported hybrids came to be called "plastic".
In the same period, October 1, 1990, the Poisk company was formed. The main goal pursued by its creators and managers was the creation of improved hybrids and varieties with the usual taste for Russian vegetable growers. The agrofirm has significantly succeeded in this, one of the selection masterpieces is the sweet pepper "Volovye ear". The variety was included in the State Register of Plants in 2007, received admission to cultivation in any climate of the Russian Federation.
As for the author, the Moscow region firm "Poisk", for almost 30 years of its activity, scientists have created 650 varieties and hybrids, 100 of them are grown by professional farmers on an industrial scale. The holding includes: a breeding center, a greenhouse complex, a nursery, subsidiaries and foreign representations. More than 200 hectares of land have been allocated for the creation and cultivation of plants.
Description of the variety Volovye ear
Cow's ear is one of the most popular and beloved by Russians. In terms of ripening, it is average, from the emergence of shoots to the collection of ripe fruits, it takes 120-130 days. Technical maturity, when the fruits are already full, but not yet colored, comes earlier - 90-100 days.
The bush grows to a height of 60–70 cm, it is quite spreading. Leaves are dark green, slightly wrinkled, of normal size. The fruits are drooping, large, up to 16 cm long. Gardeners say that the ox's ear is the size of a palm. The shape of the peppers is an elongated cone, flattened from the sides. The surface is glossy, corrugated.
Peppers Ox's ear flattened, corrugated, there are a lot of them on the bush
Peppers are dark green in technical ripeness, and red in biological ripeness. There are only two very thin partitions inside, few seeds, thick walls - 6.7 mm. Almost all the fruit with minimal losses from cleaning is used to prepare delicious dishes. And what to cook from sweet, juicy and aromatic peppers is up to you. The purpose of the Bovine Ear is universal, the pepper demonstrates excellent qualities not only fresh, but also in blanks.
The main advantages of the variety:
- large and heavy fruits - 170-200 g up to 250 maximum;
- attractive fruit appearance;
- peppers are well transported and stored for a long time without loss of quality.
The yield of the Bovine Ear in a foil greenhouse or greenhouse is 3.2 kg / m². But this is an indicator from the State Register for industrial cultivation. If you provide the bushes with individual care with watering and dressing, then from each you can collect 2.4-2.8 kg of sweet fruits. Indeed, the bush of this variety is literally hung with peppers, 10 pieces of 200 g each is not the limit for it.
Video: a review of the Volovye ear pepper
Features of growing pepper
Sow peppers for seedlings in February, but at the end of this month, or at the very beginning of March. Only after February 20 is the length of the day required for seedlings established (10–12 hours). Earlier crops will require additional illumination, otherwise they will stretch out, they will enter fruiting later than those sown in time, and will lose yield. Another nuance - this culture does not like transplants. Sow the seeds immediately in half-liter cups, two at a time, or in peat tablets, so that when the first pair of real leaves appear, plant them in pots without disturbing the roots, that is, together with the tablets.
It is convenient to use tablets in nets, cut the nets before transplanting, put the peppers together with a lump of peat in pots
Warm up the soil for peppers to 100 ° C or pour boiling water a week before sowing. This procedure will relieve the seedlings from infection with a black leg, as well as insect pests (greenhouse whitefly, spider mites, aphids), whose larvae may be in the soil mixture. Wash the seeds in a pink solution of potassium permanganate and soak in a damp cloth for 2-3 days. The favorable temperature for germination is 25–27 ° C. Seedlings from seeds that have hatched will appear faster.
Care on the windowsill consists of watering, loosening the soil and feeding every two weeks. Use mineral seedling mixtures or natural concentrates containing humus as fertilizers, such as BioMaster or horse manure extract. 7-10 days before planting, start accustoming your seedlings to outdoor or greenhouse conditions.
Plant the peppers in the open ground when the return frosts are over. The soil should warm up to at least + 10 ° C. Make a bed for the Ox's ear in a sunny and wind-protected place, fertilize it with humus and wood ash. No more than 5 plants can fit in 1 m². Immediately after planting, in order to reduce stress and speed up adaptation in a new place, spray the bushes with a solution of a growth stimulator: Epin, Energen, Novosil, Ekogel, etc.
Video: transplanting peppers into open ground, two per hole, an interesting idea for shading
Care after planting:
- Water at the root at the first sign of drooping of the lower leaves with warm and settled water. Sprinkling can be arranged in hot, dry weather to prevent spider mites. But before dark, the leaves should have time to dry.
- Mulch the row spacing, not loosen it. Pepper has superficial roots, when loosening they are injured, the leaves hang, as if there is a lack of moisture.
- 2 weeks after planting, start feeding with complex fertilizers for peppers and tomatoes (BioHumus, Agricola, Fertika, etc.). These mixtures contain phosphorus, potassium, nitrogen and trace elements in the right proportions. You can not feed infusions of mullein, droppings, herbs, they contain mainly nitrogen, which stimulates the growth of tops to the detriment of the crop.
- When the peppers begin to bloom actively, spray with the Bud or Ovary solution.
- During the period of fruit filling, the bushes under their weight can fall to one side. If this happens, put supports next to it and tie it up.
- You do not need to shape and pinch anything. The bushes of the Ox's ear branch well themselves. Only at the end of the season, when at night the temperature drops to +13 ° C and below, remove the stepchildren with buds. The fruits will not have time to grow on them, and the bush spends strength on their development.
Harvest as it ripens. Do not overexpose ripe peppers on the bushes, this inhibits the growth of the rest.
Reviews of gardeners
With standard care, a cow's ear gives delicious fruits. Sow seedlings not earlier than February 20. Grow in a sunny area, water on time and provide adequate nutrition.
Pepper "Cow's ear": characteristics of the variety, cultivation, reviews
Sweet bell pepper is a fairly frequent guest on the tables of our gourmets and not only. Since it has good taste and a large supply of vitamins. Therefore, gardeners often grow various varieties of bell peppers, and among them the "Volovye ear" variety takes pride of place. This variety is the leader in its taste among other types of bell peppers.
Description of the variety
Pepper Volovye ear has become one of the most popular varieties among vegetable growers, since, thanks to its breeding properties, it allows lovers of this vegetable to achieve success in growing in almost all latitudes. The cow's ear most of all attracts attention with its productivity. Indeed, from 1 m 2, subject to all agrotechnical conditions, you can get up to 3.5 kg of juicy, large fruits for universal purposes.
- Ripening period 120-130 days. The variety is considered mid-season.
- Height 70-80 cm.
- Landing scheme 40x60cm.
- Designed for growing outdoors, in stationary greenhouses and hotbeds.
- High transportability.
- The average fruit weight is 170–210 g. With good care it reaches 250 g.
- The color of the fruit at the stage of technical ripeness is dark green, glossy, at the stage of biological maturity, it is deep red.
- Fruit length 14-16 cm.
- The shape is elongated, conical, with an uneven surface.
- Wall thickness 6-8 mm.
- The appointment is universal.
Pepper's ear can be grown by sowing in open ground, in the southern regions of Russia, but the best results are achieved when grown by seedlings. Seeds for seedlings are sown in the second half of February, and sowing in the ground is carried out in the second half of May.
The critical temperature at which the peppers stop growing is 15 0 C. During the flowering period and the formation of the ovary, with a lack of moisture and temperatures above 25 0 C, the plants shed the ovaries.
A feature of the varieties is the early ripening of fruits: from sowing to full ripeness, a little more than 100 days pass.
- It belongs to the early variety. It was withdrawn in 1995. Can be grown in the Northwest, Central and Central Black Earth regions.
- With early sowing of seeds, the harvest takes place in June; from sowing to ripening, it takes from 90 to 110 days.
- The bush is of medium height, compact, strongly leafy, with dark green, large foliage.
- Fruits are smooth, drooping, huge, have a prismatic shape. The weight of one pepper varies in the range of 110-120 g. The walls are thick, up to 0.7 cm. Fruits with a pleasant taste, strongly aromatic.
- It is characterized by resistance to diseases, including the tobacco mosaic virus, and is not affected by fruit rot and apical rot.
- According to gardeners' reviews, up to 8 kg of fruit can be harvested from 1 m2 of plantings. Super-yielding variety!
- A hybrid, high-yielding variety. Early maturing, half-stemmed, slightly spreading bushes. The growing season lasts 110 days.
- Conical, deep red three-chambered fruits with juicy and tasty pulp. The weight of the peppers is up to 200 g.
- Cultivation for commercial purposes is possible, as it has high transportability.
Orange Fruit Big Mama Pepper
The most popular representative of the Big line from the Aelita agricultural firm. Were bred varieties with purple (Big Daddy), orange-brown (Big Girl), red-burgundy (Big Boy) and orange (Big Mom) fruit color.
Big Daddy, Big Girl, Big Boy
However, growing the fruits of sunny colors, you can raise yourself not only your mood, but also your immunity, since peppers are rich in phosphorus, potassium, and other useful vitamins and minerals. A storehouse of vitamins helps cells to grow, participates in the structure of bone tissue.
- Can be grown in the greenhouse and in the garden
- Semi-spreading bushes reach 60 cm in height
- Early fruiting
- Fragrant, juicy, fleshy fruits
- Has a high resistance to disease
- Recommended for fresh consumption
- A popular variety among summer residents of Russia.
- It has excellent taste characteristics and is versatile in use.
- But it will take patience and diligence to get a stable harvest.
- Health contains useful substances and trace elements (the name itself speaks for this), is rich in vitamin C.
- Feature - a tall, sprawling bush.
- Height can exceed 1.5 meters. It is clear that for cultivation you need to build a trellis.
- Unpretentious, easily adapts to weather conditions, grows well in open ground and in a greenhouse.
- It takes 3 months from sowing to harvesting. The variety is characterized by amicable fruit ripening. Up to 5-6 kg of vegetables are harvested from 1 m2.
- Vegetables are small in size, reaching no more than 10 cm in length
- Thick-walled, fleshy, juicy, red
- Are prismatic
- Light ribbing is slightly visible on the surface
- Fruits are stored for a long time, resistant to diseases
- The most popular of the bell peppers with fleshy and sweet flesh.
- It got its name due to its appearance: the tip of the pepper is curled downward and resembles the beak of a cockatoo.
- Cockatoo is a universal purpose, juicy pulp is used in the preparation of salads, suitable for canning and pickling.
- Good growth of red pepper Kakadu is observed when grown in open areas.
- With a lack of heat and light, the leaves begin to turn yellow. High productivity. Up to 3 kg of fruits are harvested from 1 bush.
- Yellow Pepper Cockatoo is rich in vitamins and minerals
- An early hybrid variety, 105 days pass from sowing seeds to fruiting
- Depending on the variety, the fruits can be colored yellow and red, the former being much smaller in size than the latter.
- Very fleshy, wall thickness up to 10 mm
- Large cylindrical fruits weigh up to 300 g, length - 20 cm
- Tall, with a shoot length of 150 cm, requires tying
- A highly productive hybrid variety, which is cultivated both in greenhouses and in the open field.
- The growing season lasts 80 days, so the variety belongs to the early.
- The juicy, tasty fruit keeps well, making it popular for commercial cultivation.
- Gardeners appreciate Claudio for his resistance to sunburn, temperature extremes, and speak of high resistance to diseases, especially viral ones.
- Grown through seedlings.
- It is worth noting that Claudio's seeds have a long shelf life, so you can buy them for future use, they will not affect germination.
- Prefers open, sunny areas with fertile soil
- Powerful, spreading bushes
- Up to 12 fruits are formed on one bush
- Cuboid fruits are elongated, 4-chambered
- At the stage of maturity, the peppers acquire a deep red color.
- It is characterized by uniformity: vegetables match in shape and color
- Fruit weight - 250 g, pulp thickness - 1.1 cm
The photo shows the gingerbread man in a section: very thick walls
- Early variety. The stage of technical maturity begins 110 days after germination.
- Can be grown in greenhouse conditions and outdoors.
- "Pot-bellied" fruits, like barrels. That's why he is a Kolobok variety.
- A low-growing plant rarely exceeds 40 cm in height. The bush part has dense foliage.
- The variety got its name thanks to the fruit that looks like balls. The fruits are drooping, in an unripe state they are painted in a light green color, and when fully ripe, they acquire a deep red, dark shade.
- Large vegetables weigh up to 150 g, the wall thickness is 0.9 cm, which indicates their meatiness, with a pleasant aroma inherent in bell peppers.
- Not susceptible to black mold, top rot, verticillary wilting, viral mosaic.
- It is used mainly for fresh consumption, very rarely for canning. Raw cubes are added to vitamin salads, stewed, and delicious stuffed peppers are obtained.
- Compliance with agrotechnical methods of cultivation will allow you to get a high yield, which can be from 3 to 5 kg of juicy, fleshy peppers from 1 m2.
- Peppers are used to decorate the festive table: it looks beautiful when cut.
- Early variety. A tall plant with a powerful root system and a spreading bush.
- In height it can reach over 1 m, requires support and tying, can be grown on a trellis. Quite an unusual size for a pepper.
- When growing Pepper Caps, it is recommended to form a plant and leave 2 stems.
- Do not rush to sow seeds for seedlings, this procedure can be carried out at the beginning of March.Picking into separate cups is carried out at the development phase of 1 true leaf.
- Outdoor transplant after 70 days of seedling age.
- An unpretentious plant that does not require special growing conditions, is susceptible to various diseases: fungal, viral, bacterial.
- A particular threat is posed by unfavorable weather conditions.
- When planting in open ground, they make sure that legumes, nightshade crops are not predecessors: tomatoes, beans, potatoes, peppers.
Care after landing
The established seedlings require simple but systematic care. Serious mistakes will lead to reduced yields or plant diseases.
The main activity for the care of pepper is watering. The crop yield, taste and marketability of fruits depend on its completeness and timeliness.
Irrigation is required on dry days - at least once every 2-3 days. Due to a lack of moisture, plants fall into a stressful state, get rid of flowers and ovaries. And already grown fruits stop growing.
Only warm, soft water is suitable for irrigation. Cold water causes disease in peppers. When grown in greenhouses, watering is carried out only at the root. Due to the high humidity, moisture from the leaves does not dry out for a long time, it becomes an environment for the colonization of fungi and bacteria.
Loosening and mulching
The roots of the Volovye ear pepper are located mainly at the soil surface. Therefore, when loosening is carried out, only the top layer of the earth is captured, excluding damage to the root system.
Mulching will help in the care of pepper. Organic matter is used as a mulching material - stale sawdust, mown grass, straw, bark of coniferous trees. Mulch perfectly protects the roots from overheating, drying out, improves soil fertility in the process of decomposition with beneficial microflora.
The layer of mulch should be at least 10 cm. Such a "pillow" will eliminate the need for weeding. Weeds do not germinate through a thick layer of organic matter.
Peppers spend a large amount of elements on flowering and fruit formation. The plant especially needs nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, various trace elements. They are quickly removed from the soil, making it less fertile.
To compensate for the deficiency of substances, you should regularly feed the cow's ear, taking into account its needs in each phase of the growing season. So, the soil in the garden a month before planting pepper is flavored with nitrogen-containing compounds, and with the beginning of flowering and fruiting, the emphasis is on potassium and phosphorus.
In the process of pouring fruits, peppers need complex fertilizers. It is better to alternate root dressing with spraying on the leaf.
Gardeners mistakenly believe that peppers do not require shrub formation. However, pinching unnecessary shoots and foliage leads to an increase in ventilation and illumination of the bush, redistribution of food from vegetation to fruiting.
The first pruning is carried out when the pepper reaches a height of 20 cm. You should pinch the top so that the plant begins to bush.
In peppers, the ear of the ox is removed by all stepsons that form below the fork. They take away the strength of the plant, do not add to the yield.
At the end of the season, when the onset of frost is approaching, all flowers and small ovaries should be removed from the pepper. This technique allows you to achieve the ripening of already developing fruits.
Sweet peppers - the seeds of the best varieties
Currently numerous hybrids and varieties of sweet peppers differ in ripening period, which is considered from germination to technical ripeness.
Early-ripening peppers ripen in 90-110 days, for mid-early peppers the ripening period is 130 days, mid-ripening peppers ripen after 130 days. According to the growth and development of stems, peppers are determinant (their growth is limited) - these are low and medium-sized varieties. They are suitable for growing conditions outdoors and in greenhouses without heating. Tall, vigorous and large-fruited peppers are indeterminate - they grow constantly and their growth is not limited. These varieties are best grown in heated greenhouses, but early maturing indeterminate varieties give excellent yields in unheated greenhouses.
Pepper is very picky about light and heat. Seeds in the cold may not germinate, keep this in mind when storing. Do not store them for a long time - the germination rate is reduced to 30% after 2-3 years of storage. Some varieties like germination temperatures above 30 degrees. The sown seeds must be warm all the time, otherwise they will die for a long time. Only a nighttime temperature drop of up to 25 degrees is possible.
The best seeds will be full-fledged ones - they will give amicable shoots. This is a pepper, the seeds of which will settle to the bottom of the cup if you pour water over them. Invisible hollows float to the surface of the water. This vegetable has an interesting feature. Peppers, the seeds of which have been stored for a long time, lose their germination and growth power - the sprouts hatch weak. But the seedlings get under way quickly, and the fertility of such specimens is excellent. Buy seeds from time-tested firms.
Dutch pepper seeds are indistinguishable from ordinary peppers. Dutch hybrid seeds are expensive, but worth it. For greenhouses, they are excellent: the most practical - F1 Orange Wonder - yield 10 kg per 1 sq. m, cuboid fruits with a wall thickness of 1 cm, larger than it is F1 Indalo. Slightly inferior in appearance, but also fruitful and tasty early-ripening F1 Montero and F1 Pantino. In addition, F1 Montero is resistant to tobacco mosaic peppers.
For orientation in the world of sweet peppers, based on the experience of vegetable growers, the names and brief characteristics of some varieties are given below. The best early-ripening pepper seeds: Belozerka (even cone-shaped fruits are good for freezing), Spanish sweet (really sweet and fruitful), Bogdan (very sweet and thick-walled). For the conditions of the Siberian summer, Snezhok, Snegirek, Dobryak, Freckles are good. These varieties are planted at a seedling age of 65 days, preferably by this time they have reached the budding phase. Then these peppers of excellent taste will delight you with a harmonious return of the harvest.
The following varieties have proven to be the best mid-early ones: Red giant, Claudio, Bogatyr, Red giant. The fruits of the peppers in all of the listed high-yielding varieties are sweet, juicy, large. For unheated greenhouses, the varieties Agapovsky, Vernost, Dobrynya, Golden Rain, Zdorovye, as well as domestic hybrids - Orange Miracle F1, Rhapsody F1, Yubileiny Semko F1, Atlant F1 - have been created. The mid-ripening unpretentious variety Korenovskiy in favorable conditions produces an excellent harvest of very tasty and large fruits.
Many people know the California miracle pepper (there is red, there is also yellow). The fruits of this variety are large, thick-walled, very juicy and tasty. Thick-walled, weighing up to 350 g, grow at Ilya Muromets, Lolita, Titan, Tolstoy master. Tall Vikings (red and yellow) will generously endow a caring owner with elongated fruits with excellent taste. If you want to diversify the red-orange-yellow-green color scheme of peppers with purple and chocolate colors, you need to plant the Star of the East variety and grow the fruits to biological ripeness.
Having planted pepper on the site, you can prepare seeds from the best varieties yourself, but first, find out how to do it correctly. Do not stock up on seeds of hybrids - it is in vain. They will not yield a harvest. And, of course, for the best harvest, you need to provide this vegetable with the sunniest place on the site, ensure the timely implementation of agrotechnical measures - loosening and weeding, the introduction of the necessary fertilizers, and pest and disease control.