9 great garden ideas that don't need a lot of maintenance
Understandably, the desire of many to have a blooming garden and at the same time not make much effort to work in it. Wonderful flowers, a pleasant atmosphere for relaxation and at the same time a minimum of maintenance efforts - these gardens are becoming more and more popular nowadays.
A natural stone
The stone paths are easy to clean with a hose. Thus, there will be no dirt and debris in the garden. Gravel paths are difficult to maintain, and grass grows quickly through them. If you make paths from natural stone and raise them slightly above the ground, water will go into the ground after rain.
Mulching a flower garden
With mulch, you can get rid of the grueling daily weeding. Mulching with needles, sawdust, bark, straw suppresses the growth of weeds. You don't need to water the flowers often, as moisture remains under the mulch. In addition, such a flower garden looks original.
If you want to turn your garden into a place to relax, plant lavender there. This unpretentious perennial with a delicate aroma attracts bees, which pollinate other plantings, increasing the yield.In garden design, lavender can be used for framing paths, landscaping terraces, flower beds, decorating distant corners. In regions with harsher climates, it can be grown in pots. She loves the sun and will not dry out, even if it is rarely watered. The plant is compact, fragrant, blooms from June to October.
Crushed stone in flower beds
To reduce the work on weeding the ubiquitous weeds and at the same time to decorate the flower bed should be in an original way - use crushed stone, pouring it between the plants. This will suppress the growth of weeds at least temporarily. And such a flower garden looks stylish.
If you don't have time to garden, don't plant annuals. Among annuals, you can choose those that are spread by self-seeding, or give preference to perennials. Common perennials that decorate the garden are crocuses, tulips, periwinkle. Of the long-flowering, aquilegia, arabis, astilba, and Turkish carnations are popular. As well as perennial asters, bells, phlox. All these plants are unpretentious, their flowering will decorate any corner of the garden.
Gardens in containers have long won the love of fans of "lazy" gardening. They do not need to be looked after and weeded a lot. But they will give originality to your site. For growing in pots and pots, unpretentious, long-flowering plants are recommended: begonia, viola, low hydrangea. And also coleus, petunia, ivy, hosts.
For landscaping the garden, you need to choose those plants that feel amazing in the local microclimate, are unpretentious, adapted to the changes in the weather and climatic conditions of your region. Junipers, western thuja, various conifers are suitable for the middle zone. From shrubs, plant spiraea, perennials. Perennials will decorate the lower zone of the garden. The main thing is that they endure the cold. Such plants include hosts, daylilies, astilbe.
With this lawn, you can create a green space that requires minimal maintenance. Smooth outlines will help in a haircut. It is better to place flower beds or flower beds next to each other and enclose them with a border. Single trees or shrubs will make it difficult to cut the grass.
Rainwater is useful for watering plants. It is softer, richer in oxygen, and has a neutral reaction. In addition, it is good to collect it in barrels using a storm drain. Watering with rainwater is also a foliar feeding that plants can best absorb and can help make your life easier with these methods of gardening. And even if you come to the site only on weekends, you will be greeted by well-groomed, flowering plants and a pleasant atmosphere.
Gardener's secrets - DIY garden and vegetable garden
If you have a summer cottage, a vegetable garden or just a personal plot, then our site will become a real find. Here you will find many useful, relevant articles on various topics related to gardening and gardening.
Many people might think that everyone can grow vegetables or fruits. They say, it's enough just to plant seeds in the ground, water them and wait for the harvest to begin. In fact, this is not so, because you have to work very hard to achieve the desired result. It is important to know at what time to plant tree seedlings, how to care for them, what procedures need to be performed in order to ultimately reap a rich harvest. You need to know what pests of garden and horticultural crops exist. Our site will answer these and not only questions.
Growing vegetables and fruits in the country is a profitable activity. After all, with minimal expenses, you can collect healthy gifts of the earth every year. Only an avid gardener will feel joy, pride, as soon as he picks the first vegetables grown with his own hands from the garden. In the future, they can be canned, processed in such a way that all winter long enjoy the taste of compotes, jam, canned tomatoes or cucumbers. You do not have to worry about nitrates, as everything will be grown with love, taking care of the health of yourself and your loved ones.
The site has the most comfortable structure. To prevent you from looking for the required material for a long time, the Search is provided. We have the following sections:
- Garden... Here you will find information on how to properly grow ornamental and garden crops so that they not only delight you, but also bring the maximum yield. The section describes the care of plants, namely: how to properly prune trees, how to feed them in season, how to protect trees from diseases and pests. If you strictly follow our recommendations, then very soon you will be able to grow a real garden, which brings many benefits to the owner.
- Garden... This section contains advice and opinions of thousands of gardeners on how to grow healthy vegetables from seeds. You probably already guessed that it is not enough just to plant seeds in the ground and water them with water. Before harvest time comes, you will have to work hard. And the earth will thank you. Before planting seeds, ask if the plant will produce in your area. Find out what is better to plant in the ground, and what - through seedlings. You will find answers to these and not only questions in the "Vegetable garden" section.
- Viticulture... Here you will learn how to properly grow and care for grapes. Many gardeners do not even know how useful this fruit is. It can be used to make intoxicating drinks, wines, to dry, to be consumed neat, and so on. But before you start collecting the bunches, you will have to grow them. And this is not an easy task that requires love and attention from the gardener.
- Useful Tips... In this section, you will learn how to make your site as useful and efficient as possible. If you have a summer cottage, then you will always find here articles on how to equip the landscape on the territory, what tools are better to use in your work. We will tell you about the gardener's calendar so that you can not only plant plants on time, but also harvest them from them.
Gain knowledge and experience in gardening
The site about dacha dacha-svoimi-rukami.com will help every gardener and gardener to avoid the main mistakes that inexperienced gardeners make. Together we will go a long way from planting seeds to harvesting. On the pages of the new portal, you will learn about the latest in gardening, vegetable growing and even construction.
We will exchange information and advice together. Remember that the garden loves hard work from the owner. Love plants, land, and in any case they will thank you with generous harvests.
The main rules for creating a low-maintenance garden
Guided by some rules, you can create a garden that does not require special care from you:
- Before setting up a garden, you should study the relief of the site, the type of soil, the depth of the sub-soil water, the presence of drafts and open and shaded places on it. Considering all these factors, you will be able to choose the right plants that will take root the first time and will develop without any difficulties.
- Make a plan of the site, thinking through every detail. Draw a sketch of the future garden on paper, marking the cardinal points, outbuildings, places where trees, bushes and flower beds will be planted. Consider the external characteristics of mature plants so that you do not need to transplant them to new places.
- For a low-maintenance garden, perennial plants are selected that are unpretentious in growing, which grow well in the climatic conditions of your area. Before planting, you should study all types of plants that you plan to plant and choose the best option. Plants should be of different types: conifers, decorative undersized, deciduous, evergreen, flowering. Such plants will decorate your garden not only in the warm season, but also in winter, and also do not require much attention from you to care for them.
- When choosing annual plants, give preference to flowers that multiply by self-sowing or sowing in open ground. These include: calendula officinalis, bright escholzia, nemophila, small nasturtiums, grassy cosmea, fluffy cornflowers, delphinium or larkspur, medicinal flax, common marigolds, mysterious mattiola and others. As a rule, bright-flowering plants are grown by seedlings and need to be dived. However, if you do not want to waste time growing seedlings, you can buy ready-made grown flowers in garden stores and plant them directly in the ground.
- It is recommended to use plants growing in your area in small-maintenance gardens. It can be unpretentious ferns, conifers, willow loosestrife and others that do not need care, have a beautiful decorative appearance and can grow on different types of soil and at different degrees of illumination.
- A large area can be decorated with ground cover plants that fill the entire consolidated space in a short period of time and do not need to be trimmed, weeded or mulched. To control the growth of these plants, the boundaries of their growth are limited using wooden boards or metal plates, which are buried in the ground to a depth of about half a meter. Thus, the root system will not be able to crawl out of the limits.
- When creating a low-maintenance garden, you should abandon exotic plants that need shelter for the winter, regular transplants, special care and treatment with fungicides or insecticides due to their frequent susceptibility to various diseases.
- A garden of this type is not complete without bulbous primroses. Of these, those that do not need to be dug out for the winter are selected. These include crocuses or saffron, important daffodils, cheerful tulips, unusual muscari, scented lilies of the valley, beautiful Pushkinia, delicate snowdrops and perennial woodlands.
- The garden is beautifully decorated with vertical landscaping and arches, gazebos and pergolas entwined with maiden grapes, honeysuckle, honeysuckle and curly hops. They are also able to disguise the walls of outbuildings or other architectural structures and objects. Lawns are created in the form of natural lawns, the maintenance of which involves periodic mowing.
- Garden objects, architectural forms and plantings are positioned in such a way that they do not interfere with the process of mowing the lawn. The borders of the flower beds are rounded and pronounced. Areas under trees are planted with ground cover shade-tolerant plants or bulbous flowers or decorated with a layer of mulch.
- Garden paths and areas are made paved, concrete or paving slabs. Such tracks do not require special maintenance and serve for a long time.
- If there are hard-to-reach places on your site, they are brightened up with dense plantings of ornamental plants. If the place is located on the north or northwest side, it is covered with pebbles or rubble.
When creating a small care garden, the most important thing is to choose the right plants. They should grow on their own, do not need weeding, watering, replanting or treatment with fungicides and at the same time have a beautiful decorative appearance. This way you will get the perfect vacation spot that will not require constant efforts to maintain it.
Unpretentious vegetable garden
Our reader asks:
I really liked your tips for novice gardeners about unpretentious flowers. Is there unpretentious vegetables? We have already prepared a site for planting, we want to start sowing vegetables in the spring. But we have never had a summer residence before, we are afraid to start with something difficult…. Tell me, what vegetables "with a guarantee" to choose for a good harvest to begin with?
Of course, I want to start developing the site as early as possible! And in order to get a harvest of vegetables in the first summer! What kind unpretentious vegetables to plant in the garden?
Of course, it's best to start with garden plan... But since you still want to "practice", you can temporarily allocate small zones for vegetables in the first year (about a meter in width and 2-3m in length), so that in advance prepare the soil from autumn for the garden. In addition, such small beds are convenient because it is easier to cover them with a film to protect them from frost, and it is much easier to handle such "islands". It is not necessary to make them rectangular - try making garden "flower beds" of irregular shape, for example, along the bends tracks, if they are already laid on the site. The size of the beds should be such that you can easily reach anywhere from the path, this greatly simplifies the care of them.
Gift for our readers:
Useful book “How to equip a bright vegetable garden» >>>
Dear Readers! If you want to get our free e-book on the arrangement of the original vegetable garden, then write to me at the address indicated on the page CONTACTS - and I will send it to you as a gift!
Such areas are best located in sunny areas of the garden. To quickly revive the garden in the first year, you can plant next to vegetables unpretentious annual flowers: calendula, marigolds, annual dahlias, nasturtium. It turns out a garden in country style!
So which plants to start with?
Try to plant a little at first spices and herbs: mint, hyssop, coriander, lovage, tarragon. All this does not require special care (except for the first weeding), and you will have your own fresh herbs to the table all summer! Then you will decide for yourself what to plant more next year. In addition, there is such a technique - crop rotation of vegetables - which allows you to alternate several vegetable crops in one place during one season!
It's also a good idea to add one or two to this list. salad varieties, they are also very unpretentious.
Of the "real" vegetables, squash, squash and pumpkins require the least care. You just need to add more organic matter for them. Often zucchini and squash are grown through seedlings, but the strongest plants that give a rich harvest, you will get only when sowing seeds in open ground.
Better yet, plant the squash or squash in a barrel! Fill the barrel in advance with scraps of branches, turf, and add humus or good earth on top. In more detail, you can read here.
You can also plant legumes: peas and beans (early May), asparagus bush beans (early to mid June).These plants will certainly delight you with an excellent harvest, just do not forget to put branches to support.
It is difficult to imagine a more unpretentious culture than garlic. In addition, planting garlic perfectly protects your garden from pests! The harvest does not always turn out to be large, so there are rules here: garlic must be planted in mid October, not earlier, and also to insulate the plantings, sprinkling them with fallen leaves or dry peat. Use only high-quality varietal garlic cloves for planting!
ABOUT timing of seed preparation and first plantings in the garden can be read under the heading "Calendar of gardening".
Garden rules for the lazy
Remember, it should be based on various types of shrubs and conifers that require little or no maintenance. The assortment that garden centers offer us allows us to easily create a dream garden in which it will be beautiful and cozy. Moreover, at any time of the year - if you correctly organize a shrub mixborder.
By labor costs, shrubs can be conditionally divided into two categories: those that, as they say, "planted and forgot" (chokeberry, elderberry, derens, vesicles, barberries, snowberry, tartar honeysuckle, five-petalled), and those that still require, albeit the most minimal, but care in the form of trimming faded inflorescences (lilac, mock orange, various types of spirits, hydrangeas).
And you really shouldn't burden yourself with planting privet, cotoneaster, hawthorns, which need strong formative pruning.
When planning plantings, consider creating green rooms in the garden, in which you can equip secluded seating areas by installing a swing or bench there. It is appropriate to plant fragrant lilacs and chubushniki here. The same applies to playgrounds. Match shrubs by color to
they were combined with each other, plant them in several tiers, creating colorful compositions that are decorative throughout the season.
As for vertical gardening, clematis, for example, are not plants for the lazy. Leave them to your possibly more zealous neighbors and admire them from behind the fence. And be content with more unpretentious crops yourself - girlish grapes or honeysuckle honeysuckle. They can be used to decorate a gazebo or pergola, put it next to the porch or along the wall of the house.
In accent places, you can plant viburnum, mountain ash, Ginnala maple and other unpretentious trees, the fruits of which will be food for birds in the fall. As for conifers, those species that do not burn in winter will be preferable, they do not need to be shaded from the bright spring sun.
These are mainly junipers with a bonfire crown shape, which hibernate under the snow (creeping junipers vomit in winter!) And thuja. The latter, however, need strapping for the winter so that the snow does not deform the crown.
And it's up to you to decide whether it is a difficult job or not.
When planting conifers in the garden, do not place them like pieces on a chessboard. It is best to group the plants by planting them in one place. Such a composition may seem boring, in this case it is permissible to dilute it with large boulders (however, ants like to settle under them). If you like to celebrate the New Year at your dacha, plant a spruce tree in a suitable clearing - blue, like in the Kremlin, or the simplest of the surrounding forest - so that you can dance around it. Just keep in mind that over time it will reach the size of the Kremlin Christmas tree, will give a fair shadow and can fall on the house in a hurricane.
Perennials that bloom for a long time and do not require attention
What is the most important criterion when choosing perennials for your flower beds? What characteristics do we pay the closest attention to?
Of course, the most important thing is the flowering time! Even unpretentiousness is not so important, because the most important requirement of plants is the right choice of place. If you successfully planted a seedling, took into account its requirements for light, moisture and soil, added compost, humus and fertilizers before planting, then you will not have any special problems with leaving.
Weeding and loosening are mandatory components of any care, and it is also necessary to feed the plants - at least in the spring and before going into hibernation. Perhaps snatch. But in any case, you will not have any special difficulties with proper agricultural technology with flowers, especially if you take into account climatic zones.
But a plant that can bloom almost the entire season is a real find. Usually, this is the difference between the annuals - it is they who are capable of releasing more and more new buds over the course of several months, delighting us with their stunning variety and beauty.
However, among perennials there are flowers that will delight you almost until winter. And at the same time, there are not so few such flowers!
Tops the list of such plants perennial carnation - despite the fact that her flowers are quite small, they look very interesting and decorate flower beds well, especially if you choose varieties with different colors.
Not bad in compositions and sage, which will delight you almost all summer and even autumn, if you remove fading flowers in a timely manner. When sage seeds begin to ripen, flowering is significantly weakened.
Phlox blooms for quite a long time, with the longest blooming - phlox caroline, perennial up to 60-70 cm high, relatively compact and growing in beautiful dense bushes.
Looks extremely interesting in the garden brunner - a perennial with a height of 30 to 50 cm blooms in May, loves partial shade and moisture, and although it does not bloom for a very long time, it is extremely decorative due to its bright variegated flowers.
And probably the most interesting plant that blooms all season is astilba... She has such a variety of colors that only with the help of this flower you can decorate the entire garden. And if you consider that it also does not require special attention to itself, then astilbe is just a godsend.
Of course, these are far from all perennials that are able to decorate your flower beds and bloom for a long time and brightly. But even by planting only them as the easiest to care for, you can achieve an excellent decorative effect without any difficulties.
Garden without water
Many of us have the opportunity to go to the dacha only 2-3 times per season due to the high workload of the city dweller and usually not close distances.
But in any case, there is always a desire that something would grow and please us on our site around the house, but a problem immediately arises.
Who will look after the plants, who will water?
In order to find the answer to these questions, we suggest that you find out which plants require the least watering, or which plants do not require watering at all.
In Europe, gardening that does not require frequent watering has long been relevant, especially in England, due to the general water shortage in Western European countries.
The very concept of a no-water garden cannot start right away with plants. First you need to understand that it all starts at the level of soil preparation and drainage. Will the soil be sandy, with good drainage, allowing water to pass through, or the soil will be moist, with drainage preventing the outcome moisture In the first case, the plants will grow well, but they will need regular and abundant watering.
In the second case, you do not need to water, because the moisture from the rain does not leave the soil anywhere.
Now about the plants themselves. Of course, shrubs and trees are the most undemanding to watering. In second place are perennials.
But one-year-olds or two-year-olds are much more demanding on moisture.
It is also important to carry out mulching so that the soil does not dry out and moisture does not come out of the soil. Mulching is carried out near the trunks of trees and shrubs.
And now about the plants themselves.
Of the trees and shrubs, the most hardy and a little whimsical are various types of juniper. Also, varieties of mountain pines grow well on dry soil. Mountain pine does not require maintenance at all. Thuja is gaining more and more popularity among gardeners. Any form and varieties of thuja are little whimsical plants. More it is worth noting the dwarf yew and hemlock.
Lilacs, spirits, barberry are especially distinguished from shrubs.
They are followed by:
various forms of wild cherry, viburnum, sea buckthorn
weeping willow, dogwood, wolfberry, hawthorn
chibushnik, hydrangeas, cinquefoil.
Of the ground cover grasses, we note:
badan, iberis, loosestrife, phlox, mikheniya, purse, geranium, periwinkle and lungwort.
And from perennial plants it is worth planting:
iris, tradescantia, doronicum, spurge, hellebore, sage, wormwood, bluehead, coreopsis and volzhanka.
Bulbous plants are also suitable for creating a garden that does not require special watering. Because the bulb contains a good supply of nutrients so that the plant could survive in adverse conditions. Plant tulips, crocuses, various types of onions, white flowers, kandyk, scilla on your plots. and daffodils.
There is no consensus regarding lawns. Someone indicates that special mixtures of seeds of the lawn, like Moroccan, are specially created for an unpretentious attitude to themselves. Other gardeners argue that any lawn sooner or later turns into overgrown weeds without care and that the very idea of sowing lawns of grass and do not care for them with abundant watering and mowing is vicious.
If you decide to try yourself in creating a garden without water, then we recommend that you familiarize yourself with this book, which contains all the known recommendations
In any case, the choice is yours. Each plant should be selected according to your temporary possibilities of caring for them.