3 best recipes for sun-dried plums: in the oven, in the dryer, in the sun
Plums are an excellent product for blanks. These fruits can be used in different ways: make jam, dry or soak. Especially attractive are dried plums, which can be cooked in the oven at home. The process of such preparation requires a lot of time and effort, but the result is stunning. The fruit in this form is a cold appetizer with spicy notes of taste. The fruits can be used as an independent dish or for baking, making sandwiches, canapes. They go well with meats and cheeses.
The specifics of cooking dried plums
Sun-dried plums have a beneficial effect on the human body. They contain the greatest amount of nutrients, vitamins and fiber.
The presence of a rich chemical composition helps with problems with the digestive tract, liver, and improves visual function.
The product removes harmful compounds, improves metabolic processes. It is also an excellent cosmetic product that provides a rejuvenating effect.
The process of preparing the final product requires the following steps:
- Choice of drying method (oven, electric dryer, sun). Each of them has its own specific regimes, certain conditions. They must be observed, then the resulting product will fully meet the necessary requirements and taste.
- It is advisable to use the variety Vengerka, Renklod or other varieties of plums.
- Harvesting of fragrant spices.
- The presence of fragrant vegetable oil.
The drying technique is based on the following activities:
- general processing, which consists in partial grinding of the fruit (they can also be dried whole);
- initial heat treatment;
- use of additional ingredients in the drying process;
Recipes for drying plums at home
Several methods have been developed for preparing a delicious product. Let's take a closer look at each of them.
How to dry plums with garlic in the oven
The most popular method of drying plums is to cook them in the oven. Getting started, you need to prepare a set of your favorite spices and herbs, whole fruits without damage with a dense structure. If large fruits are used, they should be cut into four or six pieces. This will ensure the best processing of the fruit when drying.
Recipe: 15 fruits require 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp. spices, 2 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper.
- cover the baking sheet with foil, spread the halves with the cut up;
- put a plate of garlic on each plum and sprinkle with loose ingredients (spices, salt and pepper), sprinkle with olive oil;
- dry the fruit at 100 ° for 3 hours, slightly opening the door.
Advantages of the method: obtaining a tasty product. Disadvantage: the oven requires constant monitoring, otherwise the plums will burn.
In the oven, you can not only dry, but also dry vegetables and fruits. Excellent preparations for the winter are obtained from dried melons and pumpkins.
In an electric dryer
For drying, you can use any dryer, for example, the VOLTERA 1000 Lux model. Next, you need to blanch the fruit:
- Immerse the fruits for 30 seconds in boiling water, where in advance put soda in a proportion of 15 g per 1 liter. Rinse them immediately with running water under the tap.
- Cracks must not be allowed on the surface of the fruit. If this could not be avoided, it is required to reduce the concentration of the solution or reduce the processing temperature.
- Arrange the prepared fruits on a tray with baking paper.
- Dry for 3 hours at 50 °.
- Remove the fruit, cool, then send everything back to the dryer. At this stage, processing of products at a temperature of 75 ° is required.
- It is necessary to repeat the alternation of such actions within 2 days.
Plums should remain firm to the touch and not ooze out.
The advantage of this method is that the fruits are juicy; lean control of the process is not required. The electric dryer is also suitable for the preparation of dried cabbage and beets.
In the sun
There is another drying method. It involves carrying out the procedure naturally (under the sun's rays). For this you need:
- select high-quality fruits (ripe, tight);
- they should be washed, dried, pitted and laid out on sheets of wood or plywood;
- take out in the sun;
- periodically turn the fruits during the day;
- at night, bring pallets with fruit into the room;
- after 5 days, it is required to dry the plums in the shade for the same period;
- if the fruits are firm, elastic and produce juice, then they are still ready.
During drying, you need to make sure that insects do not settle on the dried fruit.
Advantages: natural drying. Disadvantages: rather lengthy and painstaking business. The process requires good weather. Onions and bell peppers dry well in the sun and in the open air.
Use of the finished product and storage in winter
Whatever recipe you choose, having received a tasty and healthy product, you need to know how to properly preserve it for the winter. The ideal container for this purpose is the wooden crates with holes. They are able to pass the required amount of air. Sun-dried plums or prunes can also be stored in glass, metal or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. If these requirements are met, the products can be stored for more than 1 year.
Sun-dried plums at home: simple recipes with photos
Sun-dried plums have the aroma of tkemali sauce, and they taste like a cross between this sauce and marshmallow. I hardly found recipes for dried plums at home, I came to sign up for this in the library and flip through several file sets of old culinary magazines. I checked my findings, everything is fine, the plums are delicious. Unfortunately, the culture of preparing for the winter with the advent of the era of semi-finished products and fast food was irretrievably lost. This applies to conservation to a lesser extent, but about drying - the picture is bleak.
At one time, drying fruits and berries seemed out of date, a kind of occupation for retired grandmothers. Then dryers began to appear, eliminating any kind of hassle - loaded the fruits and sit, sip some tea, wait until the drying cycle is over. At first glance, excellent, but not all fruits are tasty when processed with such a dryer. And not everyone can (and want) to buy another kitchen appliance. Considering that the kitchen is not rubber and that it is necessary to place the already purchased steamer, multicooker, toaster, blender, mixer, etc. somewhere.
In general, as you already understood, I am in favor of a variety of recipes, especially in terms of the method of preparation. Therefore, today there is not one recipe for sun-dried plums, but as many as three. Take your pick.
The basis of Mediterranean cuisine is spices. Dried vegetables cooked in sunny Italy are a masterpiece of taste thanks to spices. But we, living in Siberia or the Urals, can also cook something similar.
Following the recommendations of Julia Vysotskaya, tomatoes for the winter according to her recipe can be seasoned with black pepper and basil. She takes basil not only dried, but also fresh, just picked from the garden.
It is worth listening to one more of her advice. She prefers purple basil varieties. In her opinion, the spicy notes of purple basil varieties are better revealed during heat treatment.
Any salt will not work, especially fortified with iodine. If you want to get high-quality sun-dried tomatoes, buy good sea salt for harvesting - there is a large selection of it in supermarkets.
Sun-dried tomatoes, recipe for the winter
- Cream tomato 2 kg
- Refined olive oil 250 g
- Dried basil 1 tsp
- Dried rosemary 0.5 tsp
- Dried thyme 0.5 tsp
- Allspice 1 pc.
- Bay leaf 1 pc.
- Pinch of sea salt
- Dried garlic pinch
- Black pepper several pieces
- Cloves optional 1 pc.
- Ripe and whole tomatoes, wash and cut in half.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out the core of the tomatoes along with the seeds.
- Place the tomato halves on a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down, lightly salting each half first to help dry them better.
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees C. Dry the tomatoes for 2 hours in convection mode. If your oven does not have such a mode, use a wooden stick soaked in cold water to make a gap between the oven and the door. Tomatoes must be ventilated so as not to dry out.
- After a couple of hours, change the drying temperature, lowering it to 100 degrees and leave the tomatoes to dry for another 2-3 hours. The drying time depends on the nature of the fruit: the juicier ones will dry longer. Therefore, look in and, finding that some of the halves have withered enough, take them out of the oven. Let the rest get up to condition.
- Prepare the jar. Wash it and pat dry with a towel. Place all the spices on the bottom.
- Watch the oven, ready-made tomatoes will need to be removed now every 10-20 minutes. Put them in a jar.
- When the jar is full, heat the oil, but do not bring it to a boil. Fill the tomatoes with hot oil to the middle, lightly hit the jar on the surface of the table so that the air comes out from below, then pour the oil up to the top, right under the lid. It is important that the oil covers all the tomatoes without leaving any “dry”. Screw the lid back on, shake the can a couple of times so that the oil gets on the lid and condensation does not form.
- Then cover with a towel and leave to cool under it until morning.
- Store sun-dried tomatoes at room temperature, but keep an open jar in the refrigerator.
How to cook sun-dried tomatoes at home
Making a snack yourself is not that difficult, but it will take time. In order not to face setbacks and not be disappointed in cooking, it is advised to follow the recipe.
A simple step-by-step recipe for the winter
We will describe in detail the classic recipe for preparing an appetizer, you can make it in the following way:
- It is worth cutting the tomatoes into slices (into halves or quarters).
- Cover the dish with parchment and place the tomatoes.
- Tomatoes are positioned so that they "look" with the cut up.
- Then they are sent to the oven for a certain time.
How much the appetizer will be prepared depends on the selected recipe option. If the tomatoes are to be baked, then they will stay in the oven for at least 4 hours. If dried, then more - from 4 to 6 hours.
After the tomatoes reach the indicators (become dried or baked), they are removed from the oven and sent to the jar.
The canning process takes place according to the following scheme:
- jars are pre-sterilized, together with lids
- then put tomatoes in them, covering with a mixture of salt, pepper and herbs
- laid in layers, and then poured with olive oil.
Attention! The mixture can be prepared in advance by mixing salt, pepper and herbs. For those who like it sharper, ground paprika or red, hot peppers are suitable.
Use fresh or dried herbs. In the classic version, basil, pepper, thyme should be present. Olive oil is present in the classic version of the recipe, but it is replaced with sunflower oil or balsamic vinegar is preferred.
The jar should be completely filled, with the remaining space taken up by oil or vinegar. The workpiece is sent to a cool place; it is recommended to store it in the refrigerator.
Recipe from Julia Vysotskaya
According to Yulia Vysotskaya, tomatoes should be prepared adhering to the following recipe:
- Choose cherry tomatoes (300-350 grams). Pre-wash them under running water and remove the "tails".
- Mix salt and pepper, choose the proportions individually, following your taste preferences.
- Peel the garlic and place the cloves over the chopped tomatoes.
Chop the herbs and the remaining garlic and mix them together. Put the mixture on the tomatoes and send the workpiece to the oven, preheated to 90 degrees. After 6-7 hours, the appetizer will be ready to make it tasty, it is worth bringing the "business" to the end.
Attention! Julia proposes to act alternatively: sprinkle tomatoes with herbs and spices before sending them to the oven, and not to the jar. Use extra virgin olive oil.
The finished tomatoes are removed from the oven, left on parchment, take a glass jar and place them there. It is not necessary to lay in layers the remnants of salt, pepper and chopped herbs are placed on top, everything is poured with olive oil. The workpiece is sent to the refrigerator.
In the oven
There are a few tricks that can help you make a delicious snack in the oven:
- preheat the oven to 80-90 degrees
- cook at a temperature of 100 or 120 degrees, no higher
- monitor the condition of the tomatoes, ensuring sufficient circulation of air masses.
Cooking in the oven is easier, but if this is not possible, you can use a microwave oven or an electric vegetable dryer. Without olive oil, the snack will not be so tasty - as some housewives say, but this is a matter of taste. Try capping several jars using olive oil or vinegar.
In an electric dryer
Making a snack with special equipment is easier. It will take at least 9 hours to dry tomatoes in an electric dryer. The larger the pieces and the juicier the tomatoes, the longer it will take. The rest of the recipe does not differ from the classic one.
In the microwave
To keep the fruit juicy and avoid overdrying, follow the rules:
- Chop the tomatoes, then put on a dish.
- Turn on the microwave at full power, set the time to 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, hold it for another 5 minutes without opening the doors.
- If this is not enough, then repeat the procedure, setting the time to 3 minutes.
Dried or sun-dried tomatoes are prepared according to a specific recipe, and it differs from the classic one:
- a variety of herbs used for harvesting. Required: rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, parsley and dill
- and the finished tomatoes are poured not with olive oil, but with warm sunflower oil
- it is recommended to use tomatoes, variety Cream.
The best option for preparing a snack, but if there is no such option, then you can ensure the circulation of air masses using a wooden stick. It is located between the oven door and the cabinet itself.
With balsamic vinegar
This recipe is similar, except that balsamic vinegar is used instead of olive or sunflower oil. It is poured into a glass container after it is filled with tomatoes.
Garlic is used in crushed and regular form, it is treated as follows:
- Cut and add to salt and pepper, combining with herbs.
- They put them on parchment, send the tomatoes to the oven.
If garlic is unpleasant, its taste and aroma is disgusting, you can replace this ingredient or refuse to use it altogether.
With basil and garlic
If we are talking about dried basil, then it can be soaked in garlic juice, and then put the mixture of these seasonings on the tomatoes and send them to the oven or electric dryer.
Put the rest of the mixture in a jar to give the snack an unforgettable aroma.
We cook using the following technology:
- place the fruits cut into slices on a paper towel or gauze
- cover with a thin layer of material if there are flies or other insects in the room
- turn over at least 1 time in 4 hours
- when the sun goes away, we take the workpiece and put it in the banks.
In olive oil
Extra-pressed oil is used to ennoble tomatoes, to make the appetizer tasty.It is recommended to pour tomatoes with warm oil at room temperature.
In sunflower oil
It is heated, but not brought to a boil. Pour into a glass jar after adding other components (salt, pepper, spices). At the final stage.
With balsamic vinegar
Alternative option. Such a recipe will help to get new taste sensations, but they are not for everybody's taste, since the ingredient will give the preparation a pleasant sourness.
Recipe from Alla Kovalchuk
Has its own characteristics. We'll have to heat the water and lower the previously cut cross-to-cross, the fruits in boiling water. Then immerse them in cold water, peel them and remove the seeds and liquid pulp.
Then cut into slices, sprinkle with seasonings and send to the oven for 1.5 hours. Then close in jars, sprinkle with seasonings on top, pour vinegar or oil over them.
Recipe from Vincenzo Barba
It differs in that the chef suggests using a mixture of olive and sunflower oil. And also add 1 teaspoon of sugar to salt and pepper.
In the Isidri dryer
The process takes place gradually and carefully, which does not spoil the taste characteristics of the product. A gas oven is not suitable for such procedures. But the use of the Isidri dryer allows you to avoid darkening of tomatoes - such a product is considered spoiled and unsuitable for further use.
Sun-dried cherry tomatoes
We act in the same way - chop the tomatoes. But we avoid too small parts, cut the fruits into 2 halves and heat them.
Cherries are not much different from other varieties, but they are ideal for preparing a snack, since they have all the necessary characteristics. If you are preparing sun-dried tomatoes for the first time, then take cherry tomatoes.
Sun-dried tomatoes for the winter - how to store at home
Despite the fact that sun-dried tomatoes can be made not only in summer, but also in winter, since they are sold at any time of the year, housewives prefer to harvest them during the summer harvest. It is also possible in the fall, when prices for tomatoes are quite affordable.
Of course, all housewives want to treat their loved ones with such an amazing and pleasant dish, so everyone wants to know how to save them for the winter so that they do not deteriorate. Let's cook these long shelf life tomatoes.
Let's take for the recipe:
- Plum tomatoes - 3 kg
- Salt, black pepper, dry garlic - to taste
- Sugar - 1-2 tablespoons without top
- Olive oil - about 300-400 ml (sunflower oil can be used)
- Seasoning "Italian herbs" with oregano, basil, rosemary - to taste
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Rosemary sprig (if available)
1. Take plum-shaped tomatoes, for example, the "Ladies fingers" variety. We will wash and dry them well. Then cut into two halves. Carefully cut and scoop out the juice and seeds. We do not throw it away! Freeze in bags in the freezer. In winter we will add it to soups and sauces.
2. We spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet, which is pre-covered with baking paper. Then sprinkle them with Italian herbs seasoning. It is very suitable for drying tomatoes. Be sure to sprinkle the pieces with a little salt and sugar for a richer taste. This way we prepare two baking trays for drying.
3. Put the tomatoes in an oven preheated to 100 degrees in convection mode. Open the oven door slightly by placing a rolled tea towel. Moist air will come out and tomatoes will wilt better. They will be ready in 4-5 hours.
If convection is not provided in your oven, lower the temperature to 70 degrees and also open the door slightly. The pieces will dry longer - up to 7-8 hours, but the results will not differ.
4. The withered tomatoes should look like this. When pressing on the pulp, the finger remains dry, no juice is released. The skin and pulp are not fragile, but soft and pliable.
5. Take a sterilized jar and put pieces of sun-dried tomatoes in it. Press with a fork so that they lie tightly enough.
Put several slices of fresh garlic between the layers of tomatoes and sprinkle with black pepper. You can put a sprig of rosemary. We fill the entire jar completely.
6. Prepare the olive oil. We add garlic, passed through a garlic press, and the same Italian herbs to your taste.
7. Warm oil with spices in the microwave until very hot. But you can't boil! Pour sun-dried tomatoes through a sieve to the top of the jar with hot oil. It should completely cover our tomatoes. From the total amount of tomatoes, we got 2 jars - 350 ml.
Close with a sterilized screw cap. Turn over and wrap with a warm towel or blanket until it cools completely. After 5 days, the sun-dried tomatoes are ready. They are delicious. Sealed jars can be stored until winter. We eat them by putting them on a piece of bread. Add to scrambled eggs, pizza, various sauces and gravies.
Sun-dried plums with garlic and herbs - an original dish with a bright, memorable taste. Plums can be prepared in season or prepared for the winter. Use such salty plums in pizza instead of tomatoes, add to salads, sandwiches. This dish goes well with dry wine and salty sticks.
When properly prepared and stored, you will retain all your vitamins. We will cook dried plums in the oven.
For cooking, choose dense "Hungarian" or "Renclode" plums with a well-separated pit. You can use sunflower oil, olive oil, or a mixture of them.
How to cook sun-dried plums at home
- plum - 1 kg,
- garlic - 1 head,
- dry herbs - thyme, dill,
- oil 1 - 2 tablespoons,
- canning oil - 300 grams.
- coarse salt.
Prepare the plum: wash, separate the bone by cutting into 2 halves.
Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Place the plum halves tightly on a sheet. Usually 1 kg fits. Put garlic slices on each half. You can lightly sprinkle with coarse salt.
Sprinkle with chopped dry herbs.
Sprinkle with vegetable oil.
Heat the oven to 100 degrees. Place the plums in the oven. The oven must be left half open to allow the liquid to evaporate. I place a matchbox between the door and the oven. Make sure that the temperature does not rise above 100 degrees. A large plum lasts about 3 hours.
Look closer to the end so as not to dry out. The finished product resembles a soft prune.
Place the plum on a plate if you're making a seasonal snack. Refrigerate. Serve with meat dishes as a side dish or serve as an appetizer for an aperitif.
If you plan to prepare spicy sun-dried plums for the winter, put them tightly in a sterile jar, cover with oil and roll up.
A half-liter can of workpieces comes out of 1 kg of plums. Store the cream in the refrigerator. After 1-2 months, the plum will infuse and become tastier and oily.
Use the butter from a jar of cream later as any flavored butter. It can be added to vegetable salads, seasoned with hot boiled potatoes, greased with black bread bruschetta. Sun-dried plums will appeal to your loved ones and diversify your usual diet.