Growing raspberries as a profitable business
Raspberries are a pretty popular berry, which has an attractive taste and health properties.
The moment that the berry is used in folk medicine as a healing agent determines the formed not high demand for it.
Raspberry growing and selling business has received wide development so far only in Western Europe, which determines its high prospects.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Raspberry Business
Before drawing up a business plan that implies certain calculations, you should pay attention to the general advantages and disadvantages of the business in question.
The benefits include:
- Great demand for berries with a small supply. It is quite difficult to find raspberries on store shelves.
- Almost any piece of land is suitable for growing. The composition of the earth may not be suitable for raspberries, but it can be corrected.
- Due to the high demand and low supply, the cost of berries is quite high, which allows you to make a profit even with an insignificant yield.
- If you follow the recommendations for planting a bush and caring for it, the yield can be large. If the bush is located under the open sky, then a lot depends on the prevailing weather. Recently, more and more raspberries are grown in greenhouse conditions.
- There are quite a few varieties of raspberries. At the same time, the ripening time of their berries is significantly different, which makes it possible to make the business more profitable by selling fresh products for a long time.
However, there are also disadvantages.:
- Berries spoil quickly. At the same time, many people like to make jams and preserves made from raspberries on their own.
- Only in greenhouse conditions can the risk of crop loss due to bad weather conditions be significantly reduced.
- Grooming a raspberry bite is a laborious process.
- The income from the business in question will only be for one half of the year.
Despite the presence of significant shortcomings, the business in question has a high demand with a small supply, which forms the price of berries, determines the attractiveness of this type of entrepreneurial activity.
In order to legally engage in the cultivation of raspberries and their sale, registration of entrepreneurial activity should be carried out.
Registration of entrepreneurship
An important question is the choice of the form of doing business. When growing crops on your own or leased land in order to establish sales for profit, you can arrange the following forms of doing business:
- SNT - horticultural non-profit partnership... This type of business registration is used when an individual sells a grown product on his site by handing it over to large wholesale bases. In this case, registration consists in obtaining a certificate of the availability of a summer cottage. You can get the necessary document from the district administration.
- Individual entrepreneurship or individual entrepreneur - a form of registration of activities, which implies the provision of the possibility of self-realization of the grown product. In this case, the person who owns the site and has established the cultivation of raspberries can act as a legal entity for concluding various contracts: for hiring workers, organizing sales, and so on. Difficulties arising when choosing such a capable business registration lie in the need for product certification.
- Limited Liability Company or LLC - the form of registration, which is chosen if it is necessary to attract partners to your business. In this case, partners can act as co-founders or creditors.
If there is no entrepreneurial experience, and the volume of cultivation is insignificant, then it is recommended to arrange SNT.
A simplified design scheme will allow sell raspberries in small batches and set up production and business processes.
If the volume of cultivation will increase significantly, then an IP is issued. Formalization as a legal entity allows attracting creditors who can significantly accelerate business development.
With the correct preparation of a business plan, the invested funds bring income within a short time.
When considering the issue of registration of entrepreneurial activity, take into account, that the best method of taxation is the unified agricultural tax, the rate of which is 6%.
If the audit determines that the share of the agricultural product is less than 70%, then a generalized taxation method is applied.
How to start growing raspberries?
Pivot points, which are indicated when drawing up a business plan, increase the chance of a good profit.
The first year follows:
- Conduct raspberry variety selection.
- Calculate the required amount of planting material.
- Prepare the soil.
- Prepare the material that will be used as supports: support posts made of wood or reinforcement, wire.
- Purchase fertilizers and pest control products.
This training concerns the cultivation of raspberries in the open air, that is, not in greenhouse conditions.
After the completion of all work for the first year, the costs are calculated - to determine the profitability of the business, accurate calculations must be made.
In the second year it follows:
- Carry out drip irrigation.
- Apply fertilizer.
- Prepare the container.
- If the volume of cultivation is large, then you should look for workers.
- Install refrigeration units if the volume of cultivation is large. The berry is a perishable product that can be preserved with partial cooling.
Let's talk about some points in more detail. Business creation begins with site selection and preparation. The site recommendations are as follows:
- It should be borne in mind that raspberries are a rare delicacy that many people love. Therefore, you need to immediately think about the protection. Areas that are left unattended and will be visited from time to time are a big risk.
- Raspberry loves moisture and sun.
- The type of soil does not matter, but experts recommend giving preference to soil with sand, which is supplemented with mulch at a pH of no more than 6.2.
- The size of the plot depends on the estimated production volume. About 2 thousand bushes are planted on one hectare, which, with proper care and favorable growing conditions, will give about 10 thousand kilograms of berries in one season.
The site is fertilized with manure, other mineral fertilizers are applied at will.
This variety is less susceptible to low temperatures and pests, but the berries are less sweet, in rainy weather they may not have time to ripen by the end of autumn.
Choosing a variety
Common summer varieties are:
- Lashka - an early variety from Poland. The berries are large, elongated, the bush is fruitful, frost-resistant.
- Octavia - a promising variety for business, which gives large berries of a purple hue. The berries are dense, so they don't fall off even when it rains.
- Zyugan - a variety from Switzerland. The berries are sweet, can be stored for about 7 days and tolerate transportation.
- Shelf - berries ripen in autumn, have a pleasant taste. Bushes allow one hectare, with proper planting, to collect up to 10 tons of crops.
- Zhdoan Gee - large, hard raspberries. A bush of this variety can produce 19 tons in one season.
- Himbo Top - berries of this variety reach a weight of 10 grams, which necessitates tying to supports.
We purchase seedlings
Seedlings are purchased in specialized stores... The following points are taken into account when choosing them:
- a seedling that has a well-developed dried root system, grown in greenhouse conditions for the purpose of sale - an attractive offer that will be very expensive;
- the cut of the stem should be green, the diameter of the shoot is from 0.7 to 1 centimeter;
- practice shows that a closed rhizome copes better with environmental influences.
We increase the yield by 1 hundred square meters and hectares
- seedlings are planted at a distance of 80 centimeters. Distance between rows is 1.5-2 meters;
- trellises every 4 meters are installed as a support;
- can be planted in spring and autumn. You can plant in the fall even after October 1;
- in order for the bush to develop quickly, you need to remove the growth, which creates a shadow and attracts insects;
- the raspberry plant responds well to the applied organic fertilizer. The recommended rate is 0.5 tons per hundred square meters. Nitrogen and potassium formulations are suitable for bait;
- chemicals that protect the shrub from pests and diseases can be used before flowering.
Varietal raspberries are disease resistant. The berries are eaten by beetles, which is taken into account after flowering.
How to pick berries?
Assembly is carried out exclusively by hand, therefore, you should prepare thoroughly for the ripening period: containers, workers with a large number of bushes, a place for temporary storage, and so on.
How to sell products?
Raspberries are stored for a week at a temperature of 3-5 ° C... Sales ways:
- Grocery stores.
- Children's cafes, restaurants.
- Pharmacies, pharmacological firms.
The berry in question is tender, and you need to sell it immediately.
- Enterprise objectives.
- Organization of the production process.
- Initial conditions for business development.
- Analysis of demand and competition.
- Financial indicators.
- Sales markets analysis.
- Sales promotion plan.
Profitability with a plot:
- One hectare - 2-3 thousand bushes. The price of a seedling is $ 0.6-2. Initial investment - $ 2000.
- The cost of fertilizers, medicines - $ 1000.
- One bush gives an average of 4 kilograms. 12,000 kilograms are harvested from one hectare.
- Wholesale price - on average 2%. The proceeds are $ 20,000.
Total $ 17,000 in income for two years when starting a business. If a land plot is rented or you need to purchase it, we subtract the costs.
The berry business, as can be seen from the calculations, is profitable... This is especially true for the cultivation of raspberries. They are willingly bought fresh and frozen for preserves and jams.
This product has many beneficial properties that determine its popularity.